The majority of the conversations we have with clients and prospects usually goes something like this; “We know what we need to do to get new business, but…. “And then I hear about all the reasons why their company isn’t growing. The part that gets me is; they accept it. They know why they aren’t growing, they know what they should be doing, and they don’t take the next steps to do anything about it. Now I’m not saying this is your case however if it is or sounds familiar, then please read on.
So how do you feel about this?
- Your revenue will not grow until you increase your sales.
- Your sales won’t grow until you find someone who wants your products and services.
- You won’t find someone who wants your products or services until you increase or change how you’re prospecting for them.
- Your prospecting activities won’t increase or change until you get out of your comfort zone which may include finding the time.
- You won’t get out of your comfort zone until you have a plan to work on a daily basis.
- You can’t have a plan until you know what you want to achieve.
- You won’t know what you’ll achieve if you don’t believe you can achieve it.
- You won’t believe in what you can achieve until you believe you can do it (not think it, but actually do it)
- You won’t be able to do it unless you get out of comfort zone which may include finding the time.
So you see how it all comes down to you? You and only you are responsible for achieving what you want to achieve; however to do so, you’re going to have to do some activities you don’t believe in; you’re not comfortable with; or you just don’t have the time to do. These are the types of activities that should be very specific and tracked daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly and work on getting you in front of someone who may buy your product or service. You should know what activities or combinations of activities bring in new business to the point where you know exactly where to make a small tweak or adjustment. It should not take a major change unless the activities are small or non-existent in the first place.
Do you want to see where you personally stand on new business development and increasing your sales revenue? Take our end of Self Check on New Business Development Prospecting Activities:
- What does your day look like when it comes to doing the activities that will put you in front of new prospects who may need or want your products or services; either now or sometime in the future?
- What are the activities you know you should be doing to bring in new business however you’re not doing them?
- Now, what’s been holding you back from doing complete these activities?
- What will be the impact if things remain the same; meaning, you don’t personally take charge and make changes to do those activities you know you should be doing?
- Now, what do you want to do about it?
- What can get in your way of making it happen?
- Can you overcome these roadblocks?
If you’ve been honest with yourself and say, wow, I don’t have the time or I don’t like doing some of the activities that needs to get done; no worries. You’re with most of the population responsible for new business development. Awareness is a huge piece to change however the next step of making the decision to change. Experience has shown that it may make sense to have someone on your side to show you a way through the uncharted or uncomfortable waters of prospecting. Be sure to have someone in your corner that knows this business and has the results to show. The results come from the activities they’ve completed. Ask them to show the evidence of their behaviors and the results that came from the behaviors accomplished. If they can’t and you’re unable to find the right person or persons on your teams, then may I suggest calling us for a conversation? It may not go anywhere and that’s ok; however, you may find something within our conversation that was the piece you were looking for to grow new business for your company.